Alen BreatheSmart Review score: 99.7/100. I got the Alen Breathesmart three years ago when having my second child. I have used it everyday since and simply love it – no more allergic reactions, clean air close to ‘rainforest’ quality, sound sleep. Measuring 10” by 17.8” by 26.8” and weighing 21 pounds, the Alen BreatheSmart is a hefty machine. However, it certainly packs the punch with its full suite of features.Check Price on Amazon: Alen Breathesmart
Below is our full Alen Breathesmart Review:
- Alen Breathesmart Specs
- Alen Breathesmart Photos
- Key Pros
- Key Cons
- Alen Breathesmart Video Review
- Coverage Area
- ACH Rating
- CADR Rating
- Alen Replacement Filters
Alen Breathesmart Specs
- Coverage Area: 1,100 square feet
- Dimensions: 10” by 17.8” by 26.8”
- Weight: 21 pounds
- ACH Rating: 5x
- CADR Rating (Dust): 256
- CADR Rating (Smoke): 276
- CADR Rating (Pollen): 301
- Warranty: Lifetime
Alen Breathesmart Photos
Key Pros: Four Reasons I Love this Air Purifier
Here are the four biggest advantages of the air purifier I want to highlight in this Alen Breathesmart review.
- Smart system – when the automatic mode is turned on, the Alen BreatheSmart can detect the present air quality and adjust fan speeds accordingly. This conserves energy and minimizes noise levels effectively
- Large coverage area – up to 1,100 square feet is enough for the house. This makes the air purifier very versatile, appropriate for most living environments
- High CADR ratings – very effective in eliminating the most common air pollutants
- Lifetime warranty – Alen is the only air purifier manufacturer I know willing to offer this. Testament to the build quality of the product. Also means I don’t need to worry about getting a replacement in a few years
Read more about its top features in the Alen Breathesmart Manual
- Size – this is a relatively big/heavy unit at 10” by 17.8” by 26.8” and 21 pounds, and is less appropriate for cleaning out very small rooms
- Replacement filters – the filters need to be replaced occasionally. However, this is standard for most air purifiers
- Turbo setting is loud – however, this setting is only necessary when air quality is exceptionally bad
Alen Breathesmart Video Review
This air purifier can cover up to 1,100 square feet – this is significantly above average and allows you to use it in almost any situation. It can cover an entire floor or house for most people, spanning multiple rooms as long as doors are kept open. However, the number of air changes per hour will go down as area covered increases (see below).
Air Changes Per Hour (ACH Rating)
The Alen BreatheSmart has an ACH rating of 5x if used in a 430 square feet space and 2x if used in a 1,100 square feet space.
Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR Rating)
With a CADR rating for dust / smoke / pollen of 256 / 276 / 301, the Alen BreatheSmart ranks among the top tier of air purifiers in its ability to remove the most common air pollutants. It is also capable of removing pet dander, mold spores, germs and odors.
This air purifier is energy star certified. With an average energy usage of 85 Watts, you only consume slightly more energy than when using a lightbulb.
The other feature of the this air purifier that makes it very attractive is its lifetime warranty. This is a true one-time investment – should the product break or wear out over time, simply get it replaced. It also comes with a 60-day no questions asked return guarantee.
The Alen BreatheSmart is relatively high-end, but its full suite of features and lifetime warranty make this a very worthwhile investment.
Are you based in Asia? Alen Corp Asia offers local support.
Alen Replacement Filters
Alen HEPA-Pure Replacement Filter (BF35)
The HEPA-Pure filter is the most common air filter and more than sufficient more most households. It guards against dust, allergies, dog hair, cat hair and other pet hair, respiratory issues, and asthma. It is the standard filter used with the Alen Breathesmart, Alen Breathesmart FIT50, and Alen T500.Check Price on Amazon: Alen HEPA-Pure Filter (BF-35)
Alen HEPA-Silver Replacement Filter (BF35-Silver-Carbon)
The HEPA-Silver filter (BF35-Silver-Carbon) is effective against the following: allergies, dust, pet hair and pet dander, mold, bacteria, smoke, odors, asthma and related issues. This is the replacement filter I use personally, and is probably the most versatile and value-for-money. The Silver filter is the standard filter used with the Alen Paralda.Check Price on Amazon: Alen HEPA-Silver Filter (BF-35-Silver-Carbon)
Alen HEPA-FreshPlus Replacement Filter (BF35-VOC)
The HEPA-FreshPlus filter (BF35-Silver-Carbon) is slightly more expensive than the HEPA-Silver because the FreshPlus is specially designed to be effective against VOCs or volatile organic compounds as well. If you are living close to a construction site or for any other reasons need to guard against VOCs, you should get the FreshPlus Filter. The FreshPlus filter is the standard filter used with the Alen A375 and the Alen A350Check Price on Amazon: Alen HEPA-FreshPlus Filter (BF-35-Silver-Carbon)
Alen HEPA-OdorCell Replacement Filter (BF35-MP)
The HEPA-OdorCell filter (BF35-MP) is most high end of the Alen filters capable of removing heavy smoke, light chemicals and other odors in addition to the above. If you are living with or nearby a chronic smoke and want to get rid of that lingering smoke smell once and for all, this is the filter for you. It is compatible with all Alen air purifiers.Check Price on Amazon: Alen HEPA-OdorCell Filter (BF-35-MP)
As you can tell from my Alen Breathesmart review, as a mom of four I found this air purifier amazing in many ways. I think this is a steal even at this retail price.